Hopita (hopita) wrote,

Valentino, crossposted from facebook:

For those who've been wondering, here's what happened:

Muchi and Bitsy (but Muchi in particular) woke me up at 5:30 in the morning because Tino was having some sort of cardiac event. I rushed him to the emergency vet (and, of course, by the time we arrived he was fine, just unhappy about being in a carrier). They ran a barrage of tests and found his heart was enlarged.

They had me come back, pick him up, and transfer him to the *other* emergency vet -- the one with the cardiologist on staff. Let's just pause for a moment and give thanks that I live in a city where there's such a thing as a veterinary cardiologist.

There they ran an EKG, and echocardiogram, and a bunch of other tests (while I snuck away for the last three hours of my Friday class).

The end result: He has pretty severe heart disease. There's pericardial effusion. There's a clot in the left auricle. There's thickening and remodeling of the heart muscle. Prognosis: 11 months is the average.

But here's the other thing: Other than that 5:30 am event, he's been fine. Eating. Purring. Maybe walking a little slower, but he did have a pretty big day yesterday (a ride on a bus! And a subway!). So from here on out he gets three medications a day (including Plavix and Lasix), and we hope that he beats the odds and outlives us all. Or at least lives for a few more years.
Tags: bitsy, hospital, illness, meds, muchi, tino

  • Money Well Spent.

    Remember how conflicted I felt over receiving money via Gayle's death? I think I found a way to put it to good use. My friend Matjames Metson is a…

  • The news:

    Well, it's official: I'm diabetic.

  • Valentino.

    Tino's in the e.r. Pretty much the exact thing that happened with Jacob happened again last night -- Tino had trouble breathing, Muchi alerted me…

  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded